Sunday, September 06, 2009

Our Beautiful Daughter

Dear Family & Friends,

As you all may already know, our second daughter was born to us 4 days ago. Below are her stats:

Safira Kirana Bagley
born on Wednesday September 2nd, 2009 at 7:02 pm
8 lbs 1.6 oz & 22.5 inches

How the labor went:
The labor was not as long as Hazel's, but somehow it was harder for me. It started with a leaking water early in the morning (4 am). And of course it happened after a sleepless night for both Quinn & I. We got to the hospital around 6:30 am after spending a McDonald breakfast date in the car. They put me in the exam room to check if I was really in labor. Around 8 am, I was already in my delivery room and anesthesiologists were there right after to assist epidural for me. I was pretty excited thinking that this could be a fast labor. The attending for the anesthesiologist messed up my IV the first time and she felt embarrassed, but I was still optimistic. The resident explained to me when I felt any tingling, speak up so he won't damage any nerve...and I did felt my left side hurting when he inserted the needle. Of course I was nervous. After a few other tries, he did it. But, I already didn't like his attitude. About an hour later, I suddenly felt tired and restless & nervous. The nurse paged the anesthesiologist, and he injected ephedrine due to sudden low blood pressure. I felt better after few minutes. Since I don't have any contractions, they give me pitocin. By now I should know better that my uterus contracts very rare but once it happens, it can last up to 10 minutes long. They don't like what's going on especially when I was only 5 cm dilating, so they stop the pitocin. They wanted to measure the contraction better, and that's why they inserted a catheter inside the uterus behind the baby's head. All I could think of was, I'm so glad I had epidural working. An hour later, they started the pitocin again and explain to me that if it's still not working, they are thinking about c-section. I was still hopeful. Thankfully, 2.5 hr later I was fully dilating. They wanted me to wait for the baby to go down before to start pushing. I was relieved that c-section was not necessary. And after 1 hr 40 min of pushing, Safira was born & crying. I think we all cried! While we're occupied with her, the resident guided by the attending was stitching me up. We're all happy....after all the drs left and when the nurse propped me in to nurse Safira, I was feeling dizzy and I told Quinn that. And the next thing I know, I was surrounded my many doctors on my face calling me trying to get my attention. Apparently I blacked out for few minutes and again ephedrine saved me. That night shift nurse was the one that made my labor experience a bit unpleasant. She made me feel guilty about my choices and I felt like I was rushed to be out of that delivery room. But, I'm glad both me & Safira come home the next night.

Our first family picture


Sisters for eternity


Playtime w/ Dad


Our Blob


Tummy time


We've been hanging out at home enjoying our bundle of JOY. Recovering & adjusting to this new life. Who knew that the recovering pain after the second time would be this hard. Bearing a child is by far the hardest thing I've done in this life. I admire those who can do it so close & often, or is it because it's easier for them? or I may just be a whim. I remember now why we waited too long for Hazel to have a sibling. :)

7 comments:

Rachel said...

YOU ARE NOT A WIMP! Pregnancies, labors, deliveries, even new babies come in all levels of difficulty! Even in the best of circumstances, bearing and raising children is one of the greatest challenges in this life! I love you DEWI! I admire and respect you in so many ways! You are so strong!

I'm sorry your labor/delivery experience was less than ideal, but I suspect it was all worthwhile! I'm so grateful both you and Safira are healthy! Can't wait to meet her!

chchoo said...

She is gorgeous!!! I can't wait to meet her. Look at all that hair! What a rough labor & delivery. I'm so sorry. You're so tough to go through all that. I hope you recover quickly. Love you!!!

Shirley said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. I know that it was difficult to get things together after such a trying experience. We love you all so much and are so happy to meet Safira. She is beautiful and yet a bit different from Hazel. God bless you all and keep you safe and recovering rapidly.
Love-MOM B

donna said...

Thanks for letting us come over to meet Miss Safira! :)

Vasska, Varen, and Vega said...

Wow.. selamet ya..
Lucu banget adiknya Hazel..

Namanya bagus..

Phea said...

Selamat ya Dewi :)

Lacey said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't looked at the blog of her yet and you guys are just so awesome! Congratulations!