Saturday, October 06, 2007

My Birthday Man

My Quinn turned 33 today and I think we had a wonderful day. If you know Quinn, then you know how he doesn't really care (maybe just for the cake) about his birthday and doesn't want to make a big deal out of it. For 5 years being married to him, I think I tried to make him feel more enthusiastic about his birthday, but couple of times ended up ruining it somehow. Last night, while I stayed up late to make a homemade birthday banner and put up minor decorations; I said to my self.....whatever he wants on his day, that's what he gets. Even if that means heating up soup from a can to celebrate.

Well, I'm happy to report that today he had fun. We started by having French toast for breakfast (his favorite), ready in time to watch the conference. The whole time Hazel yelled out "Daddy, it's your birthday.....Happy birthday Daddy!"

Then I asked him what he wants for dinner and what type of cake. He said a store bought cake, but not sure what to do for dinner yet. I was calm the whole day even though I like to plan ahead of things to do/make for a birthday especially if it's your dear husband's. Luckily later he said "I want Thai Tom for dinner".....instead of me cooking (which at that point it would've been me scrambling to store to pick up stuff maybe). So, Thai Tom it is. Fortunately we agreed to eat at home and ordered it to go because here's the line.

And when we got home and ate our dinner (we're starved cause it's pretty late dinner).....we think we burned a hole in our tongue and our stomach -- very spicy even though we only ordered Medium spice. It was good food....but too spicy. Hazel made a (slightly) better choice by getting a slice of Pagliaci pizza. Quinn bravely ate more anyway once our friends Dave & Manda arrived. We got dinner for them too -- We're supposed to be dining together, but they got to our home later than our stomach could handle the hunger :) Don't worry they're our good friends and they didn't mind it at all. Plus, it was a low-key-everybody-happy get together thing.

We had a very nice visit with them...it always is. And after dinner we blew a candle on ice cream cake from Coldstone creamery that Daddy picked.


You know what.....I completely forgot to give him his birthday present that Hazel picked. We just lost track of time by chatting with everyone. Right now they're in bed already. Oh well.....I'll give it to him tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone for wishing him Happy Birthday thru card, emails, phone calls. I think deep down he's happy to know that we care.

On a side note, this is what Hazel wanted me to get for her in the boys sections at Target. CARS pjs size 4. When she saw it, she INSISTED on me buying it for her. Well, she got it and she LOVES it. It's too big and very boyish color, but it made her happy and I think she pulled it off ....especially with the snow white necklace (from mbak Inan) and painted toe nails.

We're all getting better and busy with school stuff already. Hazel will start the ballet class next week (unfortunately she's not going to wear the ballerina attire until she's 4 -- arrghh). I'm excited for her especially after I visited the place. Pacific Northwest Ballet is a great school and you can feel it once you entered the place. I wanted to take ballet when I was a kid, but never had the opportunity. I want Hazel to experience all the possibilities, but (I hope) I will remember to always let her choose her own path. :)

I also need to start planning for Manda's baby shower that has a guest list of 33 couples. Hmm......where should I start? :) maybe find any fun games.....any ideas??

6 comments:

donna said...

HAPPY B- day Quinn. I thought i mailed out your b-day card. But i found it today in the house. I will mail it out.

Vasska, Varen, and Vega said...

Happy Birthday Quinn,

greetings from Indonesia. :)

Vasska, Varen, and Vega said...

si hazel lucu Dew, pake piyama anak cowok.. :)

Rachel said...

Sounds like a great b-day! Especially take out and a store bought cake. Low key can be very nice! Happy B-Day Quinn! You are loved!

I think it's great you bought the Cars jammies. She's adorble in them!

Good luck with school and ballet! Oh, my...33 couples for a baby shower! Yikes!

Phea said...

Happy B'day Quinn..

Aku suka kuenya!! hmmm.. yummy kayanya... Suka juga Hazel pake piyama The Cars kaya Ichan dengan warna birunya yang cowok banget, keliatan nyaman dia pake itu..

Jadi, udah dikasih kadonya? ;)
Kok bisa klupaan gitu ya De.. hahaha..

chchoo said...

Happy Birthday, you Birthday Scrooge! ha ha. I dig Hazel's pj's. Thanks for the chat the other day, D. I miss you!